Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Lazy Bear

Ok, folks...its time. I have been extremely remiss to neglect the city (region to be fair, since I live in Berkeley) which I have called home for the last three years.

I must admit, after three years of gloom and doom in Seattle, I was ready for a move. As much as I love my family, I could not commit to Chicago or Denver, but San Francisco...easy! I get the mountains, which I will always gravitate towards and this newfangled ocean thing, right at my doorstep. Also, more importantly, Food! Good Food! Lots of Food! You get the idea. Also, home to a fair amount of underground dinners...something I had grown to love in the Emerald City.

I will of course devote subsequent posts to other underground dinners, but I must pay homage to what I consider the best in the city. I am not being paid for this, and I do consider myself somewhat of an expert in all things underground so I don't throw this award around casually. So without further fuss and vague musings here we go:

Lazy Bear

Lazy Bear is the brainchild, lovechild and sometimes temperamental child of David Barzelay. I found Lazy Bear through a posting over a year ago on Ghetto Gourmet for one of his multi-multi-course dinners. I was intrigued to say the least. I liked the minimal ingredient description, leaving something to the imagination and the fact that this guy seemed to be dispensing with a lot of the conventional tactics of music, activities, abandoned warehouses, etc....it seemed to be all about the food.

I dragged my David to the dinner and even he was impressed. It was held at David and Jeanette's (David's dynamic other half...she is in charge of making the place sparkle and service move smoothly and uninterrupted) apartment in Duboce Triangle....no dump of a place either ;) As is the case with most undergrounds, the table is set up "communal style"...meaning you must converse with strangers people! Not so easy for an introvert like me, easy as cake for Dave (partially why I keep him around). I would be lying if I said I remembered each course, but let me tell you this...a Barzelay dinner is never without the perfect amount of outright flamboyancy, coupled with quiet restraint. Nothing is out of place, but everything is a mouth explosion of sweet, sour, salty and for lack of a better work balanced umami.

I remember his Carolina Blue Crab flash fried with the the most crumbly savory crust, quickly swiped with his house made hot sauce and a creamy "ranch" concoction hitting my tongue...pure perfection! Or his vegetarian "forest salad"...with greens standing in salute, coupled with a blissful dehydrated savory soil. Another revelation...scallop bacon...enough said! This guy dreams of dinners the way I think of Willy Wonka and his sweet concoctions. Its a joy and constant excitement for a diner that is rarely excited anymore. And this is where his genius lays...the excitement! In a city where local reigns, sustainable is passe, and where the next best spot is a chair in the farmer's field, Barzelay is making food fun again. He makes you want to dream, and taste, and talk. And this is why he is on top of his game.

Aside from this, he is a cool guy. David and his wife Jeanette both met in law school at Georgetown and made their way to San Francisco. Throughout this process he was cooking, instead of studying, which I somehow believe. After years of tinkering in the kitchen he debuted his dinner in the city. The success is growing. He is now catering events and plans on expanding to a four wall establishment....I'm pretty sure his diners will follow him wherever...we are willing lemmings....Keep It Up David!

No comments:

Post a Comment