Friday, February 4, 2011

I'm Part of the Industry!

So dear readers,

I am going to take a quick break from my travel writing to let you know that I have taken a job in the food industry working for a pretty cool endeavor. I am working as the lead server/semi-night manager at Local: Mission Eatery at 3111 24th Street in San Francisco.

I know many of you are tired of hearing about local, natural, organic, sustainable, blah blah blah....but these guys are salt of the Earth.

Yaron Milgrom
, owner and semi-live in at the restaurant is all about the hood. His family lives a few blocks away and come in on a regular basis. Just a few nights ago, as we came in to set up for dinner, his son, Cruv, was sleeping in one of the corners. Yaron really cares about this often culinarily neglected corner of the Mission and through his efforts it is really starting to gain a name in the city.

Executive chef, Jake Des Voignes is the brains behind the food....and its damn good food. Yea, he has been around the block, but it is my sense that he is given full reign at LM to really let loose. His gnocchi is sublime, broths light and airy, and he basically makes magic with any form of meat product.

Jake's wife, Shauna runs the bakery in the back, Knead Patisserie, and also labors to create a really stellar dessert menu for us. David considers himself a dessert expert and he has as of yet to find a place he likes better. He ends up stopping in at times just to eat one of Shauna's newest creations. Much like Jake with meat, Shauna has a magic touch with pastry....I actually first stopped in to LM during a work break to pick up a sampling of her treats...let's just say after that I was hooked.

Finally, there is the space itself. Super cool design, without losing what originally made it awesome. So awesome that we were not only nominated as one of the best designed SF restaurants from California Home and Design, but we actually won! Let me suffice it to say, that you should just drop in to check it out.

So that is about it from my end. I meet great people every night I work and hope that this job falls in line with my hopes of working during the day in freelance food writing! Here we go!

No comments:

Post a Comment